Taking you to the Next Level in Surgery!
When looking at a surgical training program, you want one with an amazing depth and breadth of clinical experience, the flexibility to create customized training, and a “family” of faculty and co-trainees who make you feel like you belong. Our General Surgery Residency Program is all that and more!
As the General Surgery Residency Program Director, I welcome you to our website, where you can learn more about us and what makes Washington University in St. Louis live up to its storied reputation, generated over the last 100+ years of innovation in training. We remain one of the top surgical residency programs in the United States and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.
What sets us apart?
- Nationally and internationally known academic faculty who can not only give you an amazing expanse of clinical training but unsurpassed research opportunities as well.
- Flexibility and personalization in your training (as an originator and participant in FIST as well as through early specialization). We want to create an individualized experience that works best for you and your future in surgery.
- Training and educational innovation with the residents actively involved in generation of the curriculum, as well as an expansive surgical simulation experience for skills acquisition.
- A great variety of training venues, from the 350-bed VA hospital to the 250-bed St. Louis Children’s Hospital to the 1300-bed tertiary care Barnes-Jewish Hospital to the 100-bed Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital and the 150-bed Christian Hospital.
- Multiple varied research opportunities in all disciplines, even with advanced degree opportunities, (e.g., Masters in Population Health Sciences), the majority of which are with financial support.
- St. Louis with its Midwest charm in a sophisticated, very affordable urban environment. Most residents own their own homes, and for sports fans, resident tickets are available for Cardinals baseball and Blues hockey. In addition, tickets to performances at the Fox Theater and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra are provided exclusively for resident use.
- Brilliant, talented and diverse group of co-residents who will help you to set the bar for the future of academic surgery (and take us to the next level!). Be sure to check out the profiles of the current residents.
We welcome your questions about our program, and we look forward to the opportunity to take you to the Next Level in Surgery!