Applications for the 2022 Match are closed.
(Application Deadline: October 6, 2021)
A note about the application review process for the 2022 Match:
We appreciate that the application process for residency programs across specialties, and for general surgery in particular, has become increasingly competitive, with record numbers of applications being submitted for the 2022 Match. As such, we wish to be transparent about this year’s application review and interview invitation process.
- Application review: Faculty performed a holistic review of 1300+ categorical MD, DO, and IMG applications (for 9 spots). They were reviewed regardless of USMLE scores (but must pass on the first attempt). All applications underwent blinded reviews by at least two committee members (the reviewers could not see each other’s scores/comments) to determine “fit” for WashU. Over 450 applications in the top group after that first round of reviews got at least a third review to determine the final invitation list.
- Per APDS recommendations, we will send out no more initial invitations than we have interview slots (96 slots). We will hold 4 interview dates with morning and afternoon options on each date. We will not waste your time on those dates!
- Signals/AAMC supplemental pilot: Signals were used to screen-in, not screen-out applications (i.e., help us to identify applicants interested in our program). All signaled applications received at least 3 reviews, regardless of their initial round 1 review score. A signal was not required to get an interview. The supplemental application was used as an adjunct to, not a replacement for, the full ERAS application review throughout the process.
- Waitlist: We routinely have up to a 30% turnover in interview slots each year, so we send out more than 30 waitlist invitations each year. Last year we had a <5% turnover rate, presumably due to virtual interviews, but until we are sure that that will be the new norm, we will continue to send out multiple waitlist invitations. If you are on our waitlist, we will contact you about those opportunities – please don’t contact us about your position on the list, likelihood to get invited, etc.
- Per APDS recommendations, applicants have 48 hours to accept/reply to an interview invitation, after which time we will offer the interview slot to someone on the waitlist.
- We do hope to have in-person campus visit opportunities in February 2022, AFTER we have had our final rank list meeting. For those of you slated to interview who wish to take advantage of this optional opportunity, stay tuned for dates and details!
- We pledge to be as open about the process as possible, but we ask in return that if you are not interested in training with us at WashU/BJH and you have been offered an interview, please consider cancelling your interview (well ahead of time!) so that it might be offered to someone truly interested. We understand that there is a lot that goes into the application process and reasons for choosing a training program, so we won’t take the cancellation personally, but the person who gets your interview spot will be very appreciative, and so will we!
Keeping in mind issues of equity and safety surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews for the 2022 Match will be conducted virtually.
Please check this page often for updates on virtual tours and other opportunities to meet with our residents and faculty to learn more about our residency program, our culture and our ethos. If you’d like additional information, or to be added to our mailing list regarding virtual opportunities to learn more about our program, please email us at email@example.com.
For additional details on in-person visits, application requirements and secondary/supplemental applications, and information for international medical graduates, visit our FAQ page.
We exclusively utilize ERAS® (Electronic Residency Application Service https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/eras/) for the application process. Paper applications will not be accepted.
Please contact your medical school of graduation for ERAS® information and application packet. International medical graduates (IMGs) should contact your local Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) office for more information on ERAS®.
The Selection Committee for our training program is committed to a holistic review process, taking into consideration the whole applicant with the goal of assessing the value they would contribute to learning, practice, and teaching at our institution.
To facilitate our holistic review, applications must consist of all ERAS® materials and the following REQUIRED documents:
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (Dean’s Letter)
- Medical School Transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation from American Board of Surgery-certified surgeons who are familiar with your work
- USMLE Step 1 (required) and Step 2 CK (recommended)* Scores
- Personal Statement
- WUSM General Surgery Secondary Application**
- ERAS Supplemental Application (recommended)
*Step 2 CK scores are not required for your application to be considered, but are strongly recommended. Candidates who match into our program will be required to complete Step 2 CK prior to the start of residency. In addition, IMGs who match into our program must submit Step 3 scores prior to the start of residency.
**In order to be considered for a Categorical position in the 2022 Match, all applicants MUST complete the WUSM General Surgery Secondary Application. The secondary application is intended to help us better understand your training and career goals and interests, as well as your interest in our program specifically. Directions for how to submit the secondary application will be sent upon receipt of your ERAS application. Additional information about the WUSM General Surgery Secondary Application can be found on our Application FAQ page.
In addition to the program-specific Secondary Application, for the 2022 ERAS® cycle, our program will be participating in the supplemental ERAS application offered through the AAMC’s ERAS program. Participation in the supplemental ERAS application is optional. Additional information about the ERAS Supplemental Application can be found on the AAMC Website. Please visit our Application FAQ page for information on how we anticipate incorporating the supplemental ERAS application into our application review process.
At this time, we cannot guarantee that incomplete applications and applications submitted after the deadline will be reviewed. After the Selection Committee has reviewed your completed file, and if you are offered an interview, you will be contacted by e-mail to select a date for your interview. Please be sure to include your e-mail address as part of your ERAS® application.
Interview dates for the 2022 Match are:
- Thursday, November 18 (Categorical)
- Tuesday, December 14 (Categorical)
- Tuesday, December 21 (Categorical)
- Thursday, January 13 (Categorical)
- Tuesday, January 18 (Preliminary)
If you have any questions regarding our General Surgery Residency Program, please do not hesitate to contact Program Coordinator Christa Donald in the Office of Surgical Education at 314-362-8028; or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.