Sophia Roberts, MD
Post-Graduate Year II
Sophia Roberts, MD, grew up in sunny South Florida and attended Yale University to study Molecular, Cellular & Developmental Biology. She then went to The Ohio State University College of Medicine where she finally found a football team to root for. Her major clinical and research interests are in cardiothoracic surgery, specifically heart and lung transplantation, mechanical circulatory support, and arrhythmia surgery. In her free time she enjoys Greek cooking, soccer, boxing, and walking her dog Archer, who is 70 lbs of pure fun.
Hometown: Coral Springs, FL
Undergraduate: Yale University
Medical School: Ohio State University College of Medicine
Research Interests: Cardiothoracic surgery, heart and lung transplantation, mechanical circulatory support, arrhythmia surgery
- Mansour D, Roberts S, Lee M, Shukrallah B, Whitson BA. The Role of Ex-Vivo Lung Perfusion (EVLP) in Lung Transplantation. In: Nistor CE, Tsui S, Kirali K, Ciuche A, Aresu G, Kocher G (ed.) Cervical Thoracic and Abdominal Approaches in the Practice of Thoracic Surgery. New York: Springer. In press August 2020.
- Bancroft T, Bouaouina M, Roberts S, Lee M, Calderwood DA, Schwartz M, Simons M, Sessa WC, Kyriakides TR. Upregulation of thrombospondin-2 in Akt1-null mice contributes to compromised tissue repair due to abnormalities in fibroblast function. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2015 Jan 2;290(1):409-22.
- Roberts SH, Rodman CP, Meara MP. Short-Term Outcomes of Robotic Versus Open Transversus Abdominus Release. American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress. October 29th, 2019. San Francisco, CA.
- Rodman CP, Roberts SH, Meara MP. Robotic Removal of a Retroperitoneal Mucinous Cystic Neoplasm. Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons Annual Meeting. April 3rd, 2019. Baltimore, MD.
- Roberts SH, Rodman CP, Squires JW, Conner JH, Meara MP. Feasibility of a Simulation-Based Elective in Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery for Medical Students. ACS-AEI Surgical Simulation Summit. March 16th, 2019. Chicago, IL.
- Roberts SH, Rushing GD. Ablating Away Atrial Fibrillation in the Structural Heart Disease Clinic. American Association of Thoracic Surgeons Surgical Treatment of Arrhythmias and Rhythm Disorders. November 17th, 2017. Miami, FL.
- Roberts SH, Rodman CP, Meara CP. A Competency-Based Elective in Minimally Invasive Surgery for Medical Students. Association of Surgical Education Annual Meeting Thinking Out of the Box Luncheon. April 29th, 2020. Seattle, WA. Canceled due to COVID19 pandemic.
- Halpern AL, Hirji SA, Helmkamp LJ, Roberts SH, Houk AK, Okoh AK, Meguid RA, Rinewalt DE, Weyant MJ. Association of Regional Waitlist Demand and Utilization of Donation after Circulatory Death Donors for Lung Transplantation – A Paradigm Shift to Increase the Donor Pool. American Association for Thoracic Surgery Annual Meeting. April 27th, 2020. New York, NY. Canceled due to COVID19 pandemic.
- Halpern AL, Hirji SA, Helmkamp LJ, Roberts S, Houk AK, Okoh AK, Meguid RA, Rinewalt DE, Weyant MJ. Ex Vivo Lung Perfusion for Circulatory Death Donors in Lung Transplantation. International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Annual Meeting. April 24th, 2020. Montreal, Canada. Canceled due to COVID19 pandemic.
- Roberts SH, Miter SL, Shukrallah B, Keller BC, Lee ME, Yurjevic T, Carter S, Pope-Harman A, Lee P, Whitson BA. Impact of Lung Allograft Oversizing on Pleural Cavity Expansion in Transplant Recipients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Annual Meeting. April 3rd, 2019. Orlando, FL.
- Meara MP, Manilchuk A, Rodman C, Roberts S. Robotic Choledochoduodenostomy for Refractory Benign Biliary Stricture. Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons Annual Meeting. April 3rd, 2019. Baltimore, MD.