1. What is your application deadline?
November 1, 2017 for the 2018 General Surgery Match.
2. What are your criteria for submitting an application?
We are registered with the National Rank Match Program (NRMP). All applicant must be registered in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®) and the NRMP to apply to our program. For more information, please visit: http://www.nrmp.org/residency/main-residency-match/ and https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/eras/.
- All ERAS materials
- Medical school transcript
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- USMLE Part One score (Step II required before residency program starts)
NOTE: International medical graduates must have Step III score before residency program starts
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation (see question #7 below)
3. How many categorical and preliminary spots do you offer?
The General Surgery Residency Training Program at Washington University is approved by the ACGME to match eight categorical residents each year. We offer several preliminary positions.
4. What is your accreditation status?
Our program has continued full accreditation status.
5. What are your minimum USMLE scores?
We do not have minimum USMLE score requirements. However, passage on the first attempt is required.
6. Do you require prior U.S. clinical experience?
We do not require prior U.S. clinical experience. However, we do not review applications of candidates who have been out of medical school more than 5 years; thus most applicants have had some U.S. clinical experience.
7. What are your requirements for letters of recommendation?
The applicant must submit three letters of recommendation from American Board of Surgery-certified surgeons. These individuals do not need to be general surgeons (i.e., they can be in any surgical discipline).
International medical graduates should be aware that we DO require letters of recommendation from three U.S. board-certified surgeons.
8. What are your interview dates?
Friday, November 10, and Saturday, November 11, 2017
Friday, December 8, and Saturday, December 9, 2017
Friday, January 19, and Saturday, January 20, 2018
The preliminary interview date will be held in January 2018; a specific date is to be determined.
9. Do you accept applications from international medical graduates?
All applications are considered on an individual basis.
10. Have you matched international medical graduates?
Yes, we have international medical graduates as preliminary and clinical residents.
11. What visa do you sponsor?
We sponsor only the J1 visa.
Please feel free to email us with any other questions you may have at: email@example.com.